No better way to have a St Paddy’s dinner than with traditional creamy Irish Colcannon
1kg potatoes (cut any large ones in half)
140g sliced bacon, finely chopped
Half a Savoy cabbage, finely chopped
150ml double cream
• Add the potatoes to a big saucepan of water. Bring them to the boil and then simmer for 15-20 mins or until tender.
• Heat 25g of the butter in a saucepan and fry the bacon and the cabbage for 5 mins then turn off the heat and set aside.
• Drain potatoes in a colander and peel while still hot.
• Mash the potato until smooth.
• Heat the cream with remaining butter and when it’s nearly boiling, beat into the potato mash.
• Add the bacon and cabbage to potato and mix together.
• Season to taste.