A large number of Aldi products, from books and chocolate, to washing up liquid, use products that are derived from forests. Responsibly managing our forests is one of the quickest and most cost effective ways to curb global warming, as well as conserving wildlife and protecting the rights of indigenous communities. Here are a few approaches we think will make a big difference.
On 31 December 2015, Aldi successfully completed its move to 100% certified palm oil in all own-label food (UK and Ireland). This was a significant achievement that required converting over 1400 products to sustainable sources and will mean the protection of Southeast Asian rainforests, the habitat of endangered species such as the orangutan and Sumatran tiger.
Our focus now is on our international goal to convert 100% of the palm oil in our non-food products to sustainably certified sources by 31 December 2018.
Timber, paper and pulp
By the end of 2020, all of Aldi’s wood and paper products will either be sourced from forests certified to Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) or Programme for the Endorsement of Forestry Certification (PEFC), or made from 100% recycled sources.
All Aldi toilet paper, kitchen paper, napkins and facial tissues, advertising and point of sale materials (including the weekly Specialbuys leaflet) and 100% of our baby range is FSC or PEFC certified.
· Products with wood as their primary component and/or with wood applications will be sourced from forests which are certified according to the FSC or PEFC scheme by the end of 2020.
· Pulp-based hygiene products and paper goods, pulp-based packaging material and Aldi advertising materials will be sourced either from forests which are certified according to the FSC or PEFC scheme or consist of 100% recycled material by the end of 2020.
· All Aldi’s core range toilet paper, kitchen paper, napkins and facial tissues are now made of FSC or PEFC certified material.
· In 2013, our entire nappy range achieved 100% PEFC certified status.
· All our baby wipes and incontinence pads are now made of 100% PEFC certified material.