- Replaced over 820 tonnes of unrecyclable plastic with recyclable alternatives.
- Removed 43 tonnes of plastic from our 3L Milk Carton range- the same weight as 43 full grown male cows!
- We have moved all fresh herb pots to recyclable pots wrapped in compostable film.
- Removed more than 605 tonnes of plastic from our own label products.
- We have moved 422,000 non-recyclable polystyrene trays to cardboard in our Specially Selected pizza range.
- 10 million non-recyclable black plastic trays were removed from our fresh beef, fresh fish and fruit and vegetable lines
We have removed all single-use plastic fruit and vegetable bags and replaced these with a 100% compostable alternative, saving 10 million plastic bags from circulation.
We have removed plastic glitter from our own-brand products, including our Halloween and Christmas range.
Aldi Ireland has been a member of Repak since 1999. Repak was founded by Irish industry in 1997 to assist its members in meeting their legal obligations to fund the recovery and recycling of packaging associated with their goods and services. Members are charged based on the type and volume of packaging they produce. This principle encourages the reduction of packaging placed on the market, with all funds collected by Repak going towards the recycling of packaging material.
Aldi Ireland have signed up to Repak’s Plastic Packaging Pledge. To find out more about Repak’s Plastic Packaging Pledge click HERE.